Upon These Steps
|Posted by dcreavis on December 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM|
Readers should not confuse the current-day "Glebe Road" in Vance County with the "Glebe Road" of 1860. The 1860 Glebe Road is the current-day Satterwhite Point Road. The name of the road is documented in Lewis P. Reavis' Will. A Plot of the property was prepared by Surveyor SPJ Harris in January 1884 (after Mary Reavis' death) for the purpose of distributiing the land to the heirs.
Of interest, prior to 1884, the road ran about 100 yards further east of the current road in front of the Reavis House. The Silver Spring Church (forerunner of Flat Rock UMC) is identified as being located half-way between the Reavis House and Cooper's Grove. The church (doubling as a school) was on the west side of the old road, and on the east side of the relocated road. The church was located on property inherited by the twin Della Reavis Harris. The church later became Flat Rock Church and relocated to its current location.
Categories: Author's Insight